Tuesday 24 July 2012

British Sign Language

I've always liked culture and (attempting) to learn languages, but I think I have to say BSL (British Sign Language) is the most exciting and satisfying language I've ever tried to learn. The grammar is a little complicated but so many of the signs are self explanatory and have some good humour to them. For example, the sign for 'Lidl' is also the sign for cheap, while the sign for 'Waitrose' is also the sign for expensive. There are so many instances when I find BSL seriously cool.

Personally, learning from videos is a little bit difficult, but Signaloid has some very cute videos for BSL featuring a vocaloid inspired character, and BritishSignLanguage is a good resource dictionary for various signs, the animations aren't that great, but there are detailed descriptions of each sign which can be helpful.

No comments:

Post a Comment